In order to subtract fractions from whole numbers you have to perform a few steps. First we have to borrow one from the whole number. So if you are subtracting 1/16 from 3, 3 becomes 2. Then you have to change the one you borrowed, so the 1 becomes 16 over 16 or 16/16 to match the common denominator in the fraction 1/16. So 16/16 - 1/16 = 15/16. Then you add the 2 that you had left after you borrowed the one from the whole number. The answer is 3 - 1/16 = 2 15/16.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades