In this Education video tutorial you will learn how to solve a word problem that involves proportions. To solve such problems you got to express the scenario in proportions. For example, in the problem, 'Jacob ran 10 miles in 80 minutes'; this rate can be expressed as 10miles/ 80 minutes. The second part of the problem is to find out 'at that rate how far would he run in 2.5 hours'? 'How far' being a variable, write it as 'x' and this can be expressed as x/ 2.5 hours. So, the complete equation now becomes 10miles/ 80 minutes = x/ 2.5 hours. Now converting 2.5 hours to minutes, you get 150minutes. So, the equation now becomes 10miles/ 80 minutes = x/ 150 minutes. Now doing cross multiplication we get 1500 = 80x, or x = 1500/80 = 18.75. Hence, the answer is at that rate Jacob will run 18.75 miles in 2.5 hours. This is how you solve word problems with proportions.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades