In this math lesson you will learn how to solve a system of equations. Watch the following video to learn how to translate a word problem into a system of linear equations.
Two linear equations considered in the same time form a system of linear equations. A system of linear equations can have one solution, an infinite number of solutions, or no solution. Since the graph of any linear equation is a line, the solution of a system of linear equations is given by the point of intersection between the two lines. If the two lines are parallel, the system has no solution.
There are several ways of finding the solution:
• Graph each equation and find the intersection point.
• Write one of the two variables in terms of the other one, and substitute it in one of the equations. The resulting equation will have only one unknown.
• When possible, add or subtract the two equations to eliminate of one of the variables. This method only works if the coefficients of a variable are equal or opposite numbers.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades