In this math lesson we will learn how to solve a proportion word problem. Watch the video to learn how to set up a proportion, solve it, and interpret the answer.
A proportion is a statement that two ratios (or fractions) are equal. The cross products of the terms in a proportion are equal.
15/20 = 12/16 is a proportion (the two ratios are 15/20 and 9/16)
To write the cross products, multiply the numerator of the first fraction with the denominator of the second one; and then the denominator of the first fraction with the numerator of the second one.
15 x 16 = 20 x 12
240 = 240 (true)
You can use proportions to solve all types of problems. Often, one of the terms in the proportion is unknown. To solve a proportion means to find the value of the unknown term, so that when you replace the variable with that value, you get a true statement.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades