A middle school has 1200 students. Of these, 25% are in the eighth grade. Yesterday, 95% of all eighth graders were present. How many eighth-grade students were absent yesterday?
First, we need to find the total number of eighth grade students at this school.
25% of 1200 = 25% x 1200 = (25/100) x 1200 = 25 x 12 = 300 students
Next, we need to find how many eighth-grade students were present yesterday.
95% of 300 = 95% x 300 = 95 x 3 = 285 students.
Finally, we can find how many eighth graders were absent yesterday, by subtracting from the total number of eighth-grade students the number of students who were present yesterday.
300 – 285 = 15 students
Final answer: 15 eighth-grade students were absent yesterday
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades