You can solve any proportion using the fundamental rule of proportions. First you must build the proportion if you are given a word problem. Decide using logic whether it is a direct proportion (more on one side means more on the other). If so, find the parts of the equation that use the same units and make a fraction with these, putting the smaller number on top. The number left over is linked with one of the other two numbers in the fraction--use logic to figure out which. Put it in the same position as the number it is linked with, and put the unknown on the other side. Now you have two fractions on either side of an equals sign. You can use cross multiplication to isolate the unknown and solve for it. If you follow this video you will understand and be able to use this principle to solve for an unknown in a proportion.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades