When you have to find the average of two or five numbers then you have to add all the numbers and then divide then by two or five respectively. However in the case of the function you have infinite many values over any interval. But it is not possible to add all and then divide by infinity. Therefore you have to calculate in a different way. Imagine that you have to find the average of y=f(x). Then you have to average it from the interval from 'a' to 'b'. The inner area under the curve shall determine the value function of interval. Now you have to imagine that it is a body of water in a tank and when the water settles it shall find a level. The height of this level shall be the value of 'f' bar. Therefore you get the equation 'f' bar= the average value of f(x) on interval (a,b). Also you can define 'f' bar so that, area of rectangle= area under curve or 'f'bar (b-a) = f(x) dx (definite integral from a to b). From this equation you have to calculate the average value of the function 'f'. You get average value of function 'f' on [a,b] = 1/(b-a) times the integral of 'a' to 'b' f(x) dx. That's it.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades