Learn how to determine the equation of a line with this tutorial:
The equation of a line can be determined by two given conditions.
1. The line passing through a single point with a given slope.
2. The line passing through two points.
1. Equation of the line passing through a single point and a given slope.
To find the equation of a line passing through the point (2,5) and having a slope of 2.
The equation of a line can be defined as,
y = mx + b
* m is the slope, and
* b is the y-intercept
Now since m is the slope and the given value of which is 2, substitute the value of m in the equation i.e.
y = mx + b will read as y = 2x + b
To find the value of b, the y-intercept first understand the meaning of given value (2,5)
* (2,5)means when x of a line is 2, the y of the line must be 5 Now one can find the value of b by substituting the values in the equation y = mx + b
i.e. 5 = 2 X 2 + b therefore 5 - 4 = b and the value of b will be 1
Hence the equation of a line passing through the points (2,5) with a slope of 2 is y = 2x + 1
2. To find the equation of a line passing through two points.
Make use of the following formula:
m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1)
Now find the value of m by substituting the values of x and y and then resubstitute the value of m in the following equation:
y1 = m (x1) + b
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades