In order to combine like terms, you need to look at the variables. Terms can only be combined if the variables are all identical. The first thing that you would have to do is look for matching variables. In the example, x + 2x5 + y2 - 9x - 2x5 + 5y2, you should try to see which ones match. Then, group them together. Match the x's with the x's and the y's with y's. Therefore x - 9x = - 8x. 2x5 - 2x5 = 0. Y2 + 5y2 = 6y2. When you bring them all together, you get 8x + 0 + 6y2 or 8x + 6y2. Always remember to group like with like variables.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades