How To: Change an improper fraction into a mixed number

Change an improper fraction into a mixed number

In a fraction where the bottom number, the denominator, is smaller than the top number, the numerator, it is called an improper fraction. Because it is improper, you'll want to fix it by turning it into a mixed number.

Look at your denominator and ask yourself "How many times does it go into the numerator without going over?" For example, if your fraction was (5/2), 2 would go into 5 two times. However, because two 2s only equals 4, we are one number short. So after writing a big 2, beside it, make the numerator the numbers that are left over - in this case, 1. Put your original denominator under this new numerator. This gives you an answer of (2 1/2).

Another way to make a mixed number from a fraction is to do basic division. Divide the denominator into the numerator and work the problem out until you have no more remainders.

Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.

Buy Now (97% off) >

Other worthwhile deals to check out:

Join the Next Reality AR Community

Get the latest in AR — delivered straight to your inbox.

Be the First to Comment

Share Your Thoughts

  • Hot
  • Latest