Looking to find the standard deviation of your set of values? Standard deviation quantifies how diverse the values of your data set are, and is useful in determining how different your numbers are from each other.
You Will Need:
• A calculator
Step 1: Collect your data
Collect your data to create the data set from which you wish to calculate the standard deviation.
Step 2: Calculate the mean of the data set
Calculate the average, or mean, of the data set by adding all of the numbers of the set and dividing the total by the number of items in your set.
Step 3: Subtract the mean from each number; square result
Subtract the mean from the first number in your data set, and square the differences. Continue with each number in your data set.
Step 4: Add squares together; divide by number of items
Find the mean of the differences. Add the squared differences and then divide the total by the number of items in data in your set.
Step 5: Take the square root to find standard deviation
Take the square root of this mean of differences to find the standard deviation.
Trivia: The term "standard deviation" was first used by statistician Karl Pearson in 1893.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades